Thursday, January 27, 2011

What to do?

I love how my class is growing every week. It is amazing to see familiar faces and new people every time. It makes me so excited to know that people are feeling the Zumbalove and energy! I'm getting a little sad because I'm having a REALLY difficult time getting a larger place to hold our class. As of right now we have been in the multi-purpose room at my church at it was ok, but we have definitly outgrown it! I have been in touch with many different levels of leadership in my ward/stake/region without much to show for it yet. Apparently basketball is the primary concern and priority of every single building. It's a little frustrating for me! I understand that the guys want to play basketball, and that is great, but what about the ladies? Can't ONE gym be spared for us? I've pretty much been told we can do it at 6 pm or 9 pm. (before or after basketball.) Wouldn't it be nice if basketball changed a little for us? Apparently I'm a dreamer. *sigh* I needed to vent a little. Thanks. :)

Moving onward and upward! I'm going to start approaching a few local martial arts studios to see if any of them would like to let me start a Zumba class in their facility. If I did this I would have to charge for class. Would you guys be willing to pay to attend? I love teaching my free class but I think it would be fun to teach in a better facility once or twice a week as well. I'd love any ideas or feedback that you have.

If you have been to my class before, I hope to see you again. Thank you for coming and sweating, laughing, and partying with me!!!!

2 comments:

  1. i'd pay to come! would you have some kind of discount for purchasing multiple classes?? a punch card or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you appealed to the stake president yet? I believe that this is out of control. It's highly inappropriate that only the priesthood have control of the gym, and the relief society gets the relief society rooms. I believe if you explain to him, "6 doesn't work because of dinner, and 9 is much too late." That the men need to work on their charity, and give up some of their play time, to support their wives. We as a relief society do more than "chat and craft". We need a physical outlet as well. if we wanted to play basketball, would they let us play. Zumba is not just a "workout" or a "way to lose weight", It's a fun and physically exerting activity (just as basketball). It also is a chance for women to bring others, not of our faith, to our church. The few men who play basketball haven't had problems with dominating the gym, because they haven't had a reason to share. The women of your stake now have something they want to do and it is time to come to a compromise. I think that if you subtract some of my anger fueled ranting and use some calm reasonable objections, and explain that you've tried coming to a compromise with those who play basketball. That you need someone to objectively listen to your pleas. Your stake president is a reasonable man, he was called to this position to care for the stake. You (and the women of your stake) deserve a chance to be heard. (Sorry, if this was long and got confusing anywhere.)

    ReplyDelete